This site is no longer being updated. †Please visit our new site at:†
Chemistry Academy Saturday May 14th
Chemistry Academy for Second Semester is this Saturday May 14th from 8am-12pm.
Please turn in a permission slip this week so we can know how many students to expect. Finals will be here quickly, start reviewing now!
Notebook Check #3 Friday 12/11/15
1. 11/02-pg.165 #2,3,5
2. 11/03-pg.165 #6,7,10,11,12
3. 11/05-pg.180 #4-8
4. 11/09-Chapter 5 Practice Slides (online)
5. 11/10-File in the classwork folder (1-16)
6. 11/13-pg.198 #3,4,6,7,12,14
7. 11/17-workbook pg.45-47 #9-12, 15-25
8. 11/19-File in the classwork folder (1-20)
9. 11/30-pg.233 #12&13
10. 12/03-workbook pg.50-51 #1-6, pg.52-53#3-6
11. 12/07-Chapter 7 Practice Quiz (online)
12. 12/09-pg.285 #8, pg.274 #5,6
Last day for stamps is Wednesday 12/09!! No exceptions even if you are absent, don't procrastinate!
I hope everyone is having a great week off! A few things to remember:
1. If you missed our test on Friday 11/20 you will have two opportunities to make it up (Tuesday and Thursday after school). Make the necessary arrangements to stay about 30 minutes. Your homework and lab are due Monday NO LATE WORK.
2. The 1st semester study guide has been uploaded to the "Notes" folder. Remember this OPTIONAL and no credit will be received for doing it, but I am more than happy to help you with any questions you are struggling with.
3. There will be a "pop" quiz on naming when you return from break. The polyatomic ions you are responsible for are: ammonium, carbonate, chlorate, nitrate, phosphate, sulfate, and hydroxide (if you know the -ate endings you should also know the -ite endings).
4. There will be a Saturday Chemistry academy before the final and more information on that will follow.
Study for your final it will be here before you know it! Happy Turkey Day.
Chapter 5 Quiz Postponed
Chapter 5 Quiz will be on Thursday 11/12.
This means you have an extra day to study and do your homework.
Ionic Bonds Lab is still due on Thursday as well.
Notebook Check #2 Friday 10/30/15
The LAST day for stamps will be Wednesday 10/28/15 (no exceptions)
1. 9/28/15 pg.99 #1-8
2. 9/30/15 pg.104 #6-10
3. 10/02/15 Chapter 3 Practice Slides
4. 10/06/15 pg. 107-109 #10,11,15,16,24,26,28,32,35,36 (sub initials in highlighter)
5. 10/07/15 pg. 107-109 #40,51,53,57 and pg.669-671 #5,24,30,32,34a&b,35a&c
6. 10/09/15 Periodic Table Candy Activity
7 10/12/15 pg.122 #3,7,9,13
8. 10/13/15 Periodic Table Article (How the Periodic Table Works)
9. 10/16/15 Groups/Families Chart (filled in with by the group presentations)
10. 10/19/15 Periodic Table colored by groups/families
11. 10/21/15 pg.147 #3,4,5,9
12. 10/23/15 Workbook pg. 26-27 #19-25 and pg.28-30 #1-15
13. 10/26/15 Chapter 4 Review Slides
TOTAL: 130 points!!!! 1 stamp=10 points
Chapter 4 Quiz Wednesday 10/28/15
Complete and study the review homework, as well as, your colored periodic table, and assignment #9 (the properties of the different groups/families)
Chapter 3 & 18 Quiz on Thursday 10/8/15
Study and complete the Chapter 3 & 18 review.
*Remember I will be at a training on 10/6 and 10/7 so email me with any questions*
Notebook Check #1 on Friday 9/25/15
Assignments being checked:
1) 8/14/15 Classwork-Powerpoint slides and pg. 9 #2-5
2) 8/18/15 Classwork-pg.19 #2-12
3) 8/21/15 Classwork-pg.28 #5-8, 12
4) 8/24/15-8/25/15 Classwork-Conversion Worksheet
5) 8/31/15 Classwork-Hypothesis vs Theory vs Law vs Model Worksheet
6) 9/02/15 Classwork-pg.45 #7a,b, 8a,b, 9-13
7) 9/03/15-9/04/15 Classwork-Significant Figure Worksheet
8) 9/08/15 Classwork-Scientific Notation and Sig Fig Worksheet
9) 9/15/15 Classwork-pg. 89 #1,3,4, (7)
10) 9/18/15 Classwork-Workbook pg.15-17 #1-20
11) 9/23/15 Group Activity-Electron Configuration
TOTAL: 110 POINTS!!!
"HOW CAN I RAISE MY GRADE?!"
I keep getting this question from you all. Keep these things in mind:
1) BE PROACTIVE!!
3) Review previous quizzes with me at lunch/after school to see where you are making mistakes in order to avoid them in the future.
4) Bring in your homework and/or labs BEFORE they are due and I will go over them with you. You can then fix any errors and get full points on the day it is due.
5) DO NOT PROCRASTINATE!!!!! If I give you 3 days to do a homework assignment then you should NOT be doing it all the night before it is due.
6) If you have a question, ASK it. Email me, tweet me, come in at lunch, come in after school. I do not bite, I promise.I would much rather you ask the same question 100 times then say "I didn't know".
I hope these tips help. I know Homecoming is coming up and I want you all to be able to attend :)
Chapter 2 Quiz FRIDAY 9/11
Chapter 2 Quiz has been postponed until Friday 9/11/15.
This also means the homework (Chapter 2 Review) will also be due on Friday 9/11/15
Safety Contracts Due Thursday or you cannot participate in lab
We are doing our first experiment on Thursday. You must print a safety contract and have it signed by your parent/guardian in order to participate in lab. You CANNOT participate if you do not have a safety contract on file and will receive a zero for the lab.
Chapter 1 Quiz on Wednesday 8/26/15
You must have a scientific calculator!
You are allowed to use your conversions graphic organizer and ONE 3x5 card with definitions, examples, and anything else you find helpful for the chapter.
Be working on the Chapter 1 Review homework (due 8/26/15) and come in after school or at lunch to get extra help.
Helpful Conversion Tips
1. What units are you starting with?
2. What units are you trying to find?
3. What conversion factors will you use?
4. What units should go on the bottom of your conversion factor (the units you are trying to cancel)?
5. Do your unwanted units cancel?
6. Are you left with the units that the question is asking for?
7. What is your final answer (multiply the numbers on top and divide by the numbers on the bottom)?
DON'T FORGET THE UNITS IN YOUR FINAL ANSWER!
Get your science notebook and calculators ASAP!
You must be bringing your science notebooks and calculators to class every day. An organized science notebook is key to your success in this class, as well as, learning to use your scientific calculator!